top of page

Christmas Foods You Shouldn’t Share with Your Dog

Christmas Day is nearly here, and there are lots of exciting things to look forward to - including yummy food that might you not have at other times of the year. You might also be thinking about sharing these with your dog but we have to be very careful that we don’t offer food that could make them unwell. There are lots of Christmas treats that you may want to share with your dog, but some of these festive foods could make them very sick.

To help you keep your dog healthy and happy this Christmas, here are some of the foods that you shouldn’t share, and what you should do if you think that your dog has eaten something poisonous.


Apart from Easter, Christmas is the time of the year when we usually eat the most chocolate. Unfortunately, our dogs can’t enjoy chocolate treats with us. Chocolate contains a chemical that is toxic to them and even a small bite can make them extremely sick. The darker the chocolate the more dangerous is it, but even white chocolate should be avoided. If you want to give your dog a sweet treat, you could get some special dog chocolate from the pet store instead.

Christmas Dinner

Everybody looks forward to a roast dinner at Christmas. It can be tempting to give a share of yours to your dog, but there are some foods that may be on your plate that are poisonous to pets. These include:

- Gravy: too salty and fatty for dogs and could give them an upset tummy.

- Stuffing: onions, spices and herbs are toxic to dogs and could make them suffer with tummy trouble.

- Pigs in blankets: these contain too much salt and fat.

- Meat on the bone: your pet could choke on small bones, so if you do want to give any leftover meat to your dog, make sure that all bones have been removed first.

- Too many vegetables: veggies are good for dogs, but only in small amounts. Too many could give them an upset tummy.

- Christmas pudding / mince pies: sultanas, currants and raisins are all highly toxic to pets, meaning Christmas pudding is off limits to dogs this Christmas.

- Nuts. Some types, including walnuts and macadamia nuts, are poisonous to pets. They are also very fatty which makes them hard for your dog’s belly to digest.

What to do if you think your dog has eaten something dangerous

If you think that your dog may have eaten something dangerous, it’s important to get help from your vet right away. Don’t watch and wait to see if your dog’s condition changes, as this can give the poison longer to work, making them sicker than before. Instead, get your grown-up to call your vet immediately and tell them what you think your pet has eaten. You can also call the Animal PoisonLine, but there is a charge for this service.

If you would like to find out more about being a responsible pet owner, explore the Zara DogDog Club website today.

14 views0 comments


Zara BlogBlog.png
bottom of page